I don’t know about you, but I’m not a huge fan of Winter, mainly because I really dislike being cold. Because of my new-found passion to cultivate more joy, contentment and gratitude in my heart and home, I decided I needed to change my attitude about this season.
Inspired by my recent viewing of The Sound of Music, Beth’s post on reasons to not hate Winter and Erin’s post of favorite things, I decided to make a list of my own. It’s all about things that give me joy in Winter. There may even be a free printable for you at the end of it! 😉
My Top 10 Favorite Things About Winter
1. Hot Chocolate – I drink this far too often in the winter… It’s chocolate. It’s hot. Enough said. (I hope to be sharing a hot cocoa mix recipe here on the blog soon!)
2. Soup, Stews & Chili – A bowlful of warm, homemade deliciousness with a side of cornbread or rolls = The BEST Meal Ever. I seriously cannot understand why some people don’t like soups. I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to soups and stews that I want to try because they look “Mmm, mmm, good!”
3. Clothes – Scarves, boots, sweaters… I always feel better dressed in the cold Fall and Winter months compared to the other seasons. There’s something wonderfully appealing about all of the cozy layers. My favorite place to purchase new clothes right now is ThredUP. I have found some very good quality, gently used clothes–and even new ones with tags still on them–for a fraction of what I would have paid in store. This makes my frugal little heart happy, happy, happy! (P.S. You can use my refferal link to get $20 off your first order at any time. And they currently have unlimited FREE shipping until December 14th!)
4. Fuzzy Socks – While maybe not considered very fashionable, I love to wear colorful, fuzzy socks around the house–especially now that we have hardwood floors. It’s like wrapping my frigid feet in a warm blanket. I hope to learn how to knit my own some day!
5. Snow – I adore watching a quiet snowfall from the window or waking up to a breathtaking view of a snow-covered landscape in the morning. It’s so beautiful. Playing in it with the kids can be fun also! Driving in it is another story…
6. Birds – Ever since I was a child, I have have enjoyed bird-watching. Some people find it lame and boring, but I think birds are fascinating to observe if you take the time to do so. Winter is a great time for bird-watching because you can lure them close to the window with bird feeders.
7. Books – I tend to read much more in the Winter months than the rest of the year because I’m stuck inside so much more. Snuggling up in a cozy blanket with a good book–and the kiddos sometimes–is such an enjoyable way to spend a snow day. (I’m reading this book right now.)
8. Birthdays – The month of December is full of friends’ and family members’ birthdays, including my own. It’s today! And did you know that I share my birthday with my Dad? How cool is that?! 🙂
9. All Things Christmas – Like many people, Christmas is one of my favorite holidays. There’s so many thing about it that I love, I’m not even going to try and list it all. The most important one is the fact we are celebrating the Greatest Gift we have ever received–Jesus, our Savior. Emmanuel, God with us.
10. The New Year – I love the time of reflection and re-dedication that comes with each new year. I find the encouragement to live intentionally by determining your priorities and making goals to be refreshing.
In celebration of my 30-something birthday (and the birth of Christ!), I wanted to share a printable I made of one of my favorite Christmas carols this year. I mentioned in my email newsletter earlier this month that I tend to like slower, calmer songs during this season–like O Holy Night, Silent Night, O Come All Ye Faithful. However, this year I have found a new appreciation for Joy to the World because of it’s focus on celebrating the birth of the King, preparing our hearts to accept Him and proclaiming the Good News of the Gospel.
I framed my copy earlier this month and it is currently displayed on our fireplace mantle as a reminder of what the Christmas season is all about. I will post a photo of it on Instagram later today if you are interested in seeing it.
Now that you know a few of my favorite things about Winter (and Christmas), I want to hear yours. Did any of your favorites make my list? Let me know!
What gives you joy in Winter? Share in a comment!