This post is part of the 5 Days of Making Your Home a Haven series.
Peace is something it as often lacking in our homes due to a number of physical, spiritual and emotional influences. This is a tragedy, especially in a Christian home which should be ruled by the Peace-Giver. While a peaceful home is not always quiet, it should be void of strife and a considerable amount of disorder. Today I want to look at six things we can do to promote a more peaceful atmosphere in our homes.
6 Ways to Create a More Peaceful Home
- Clean and Declutter. Not only is a dirty, cluttered home a health hazard, it can also make blood pressure rise and tensions run high. At least it does that to me. Keeping a clean (enough) home is one of the ways I promote a more peaceful atmosphere. Lowering my stress level in this way allows me to have a better attitude, which in turn allows others in my home to be more content as well.
- Clear the calendar. Most of us are much too busy. A overly-full, hectic schedule add a lot of stress to everyone in the family. Learning to prioritize our time, juggle our responsibilities, and cut out the non-essentials is crucial to creating a more peaceful home life. (By the way, my friend Kayse is talking all about Intentional Rest this week. You should check her series out!)
- Establish Flexible Routines. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a few daily and/or weekly routines. The key is to make them flexible enough to keep you from becoming overwhelmed while at the same time motivating you to accomplish the tasks that need done. Routines are peace-promoting in that they help us to develop good habits and aid the family in knowing what to expect (or what’s expected of them) each day.
- Plan and Prepare. Whether it’s meal planning or choosing what to wear the next day, planning ahead and preparing for the future will assist you in avoiding feeling frazzled and keep you from making last minute decisions. Not only will this benefit you, but your entire household.
- Pray. I add prayer to just about every list I make. And it’s because it works! What better place to attain peace than from the Prince of Peace himself? Starting each day with prayer, asking the Lord to give you a peaceful spirit and servant’s heart will go a long way in promoting peace in your home.
- Determine House Rules. Honestly, this is something I still need to do. Having expectations out in the open where the entire family can refer to them can be an extremely helpful tool in promoting peace. Especially if your family rules include guidelines like “No yelling” or cover other sinful actions that often cause discord in your home.
May we strive to cultivate the spirit of a servant and determine in our hearts to allow the peace of God to rule our homes each and every day. As our homes become a place of tranquility and rest, they will naturally become a haven to those who are weary and overwhelmed.
How can you begin to promote peace in your home?
* * * * *
This series is part of a collaborate series of 16 bloggers, dedicated to inspiring others toward more intentional living. Check out all the other series by clicking on the graphic below or here: 5 Days of Intentional Living.