As busy parents with a small child, my husband and I sometimes struggle with making time to plan a special date night. While we haven’t been out on a date night since becoming parents, we do strive to have a date night at home on a fairly regular basis.
After a long, exhausting week trying the come up with something creative to do can be difficult. Therefore, I am often on the look-out for creative ideas can be done at home in the evening after our daughter is all tucked in for the night. Below are the top ten ideas that I either found or came up with…
10 Stay at Home Date Night Ideas
1. Candlelight Dinner. Whether you cook a meal together or get carry-out to bring home, create a romantic atmosphere with a tablecloth, formal place settings and glowing candles. Go all out and use the good silverware and china if you have them.
2. Coffee in the Kitchen. Brew up two steamy cups of joe (or hot chocolate or tea, if you prefer) and pretend that your kitchen is a coffeehouse. Enjoy a nice conversation or read some poetry together.
3. Movie Night. Pop a big batch of popcorn and snuggle on the couch while watching a favorite flick or new release. For some added fun, determine what you will watch in advance and buy food that relates to the film. Or look up movie-related trivia and quiz each other.
4. Snacks & Games. Whip up a batch of homemade trail mix or another tasty snack and play a game. Whether you choose a popular board game or team up for a Rock Band tour on the PS3, have fun with a little competition.
5. Spa Treatment. As an alternative to going to an expensive spa, soak in the tub in your own home and give each other a massage. You can use a nice scented candle and buy some fancy massage oil to make it extra special.
6. Picnic. Lay a blanket down in the living room floor and enjoy finger food like cheese, crackers or bread, and fruit. Add a nice glass of wine (or sparkling grape juice) for a romantic touch. Or if it’s nice outside, take the picnic to your backyard.
7. Delicious Dessert. Whip up a tasty treat and enjoy it with each other. You can even eat it right out of the pan, if you want!
8. Romantic Reminiscing. Look at pictures from your dating year(s) or honeymoon. Re-create one of the dates or activities the best you can at home.
9. Dress Up & Dance. Pull out your formals and put on your dancing shoes! Rent a dance instruction DVD (or find one on Netflix) and dance the night away.
10. Love Nest. Create a cozy, romantic atmosphere with silky sheets, fluffy pillows, scented candles, and soft music. Put on something pretty and spend some quality time with each other.
Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter what you do during your date night. The main thing is that you have one. Setting aside an evening to spend time to connect as a couple is so important. I hope at least one of these ideas will inspire you to plan a special night with your spouse in the near future.
How do you enjoy spending time with your spouse at home?