One of my daughter’s favorite things to eat for breakfast is Baked Oatmeal. She asks for it almost every morning. It’s a personal favorite of mine as well because it is a make ahead meal that requires very little prep work. It also brings back memories of eating it during my childhood. This recipe is slightly different than the one my mother made, but I like the more cake-like consistency that it has. I hope you enjoy it as well.
- 4 c. rolled oats
- 3 c. milk
- ½ c. sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted (or butter)
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 4 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients and pour into a 13x9 baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. (The longer it soaks, the more cake-like consistency it will have when baked. I usually make mine in the late afternoon or evening and let it sit overnight.)
- In the morning, bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm with a little cinnamon and sugar sprinkled over the top.
This recipe usually lasts us for several breakfasts. Sometimes we freeze part of it to stretch it across a couple of weeks instead of eating it all at once. If you put it in the freezer right after prepping, thaw it in the fridge the night before you want to bake it. (Sometimes it requires a little extra cooking time.) I have also put part of it in the freezer after baking it and warmed it up in the microwave for a few minutes when we are ready eat it. Both options have worked well for us.
Do you like oatmeal? Have you ever tried a baked version?
This post is gratefully shared with some of these lovely link-ups.